GOALS OF THE LONG ISLAND PARENT CENTER
- Collaborate with local education entities throughout Long Island.
- Assist families in understanding their children’s disabilities.
- Assist families in understanding the special education process.
- Support the involvement of parents in their children’s education.
- Create relationships to reach and assist parents who have language barriers.
- Provide training and resources to community organizations and school personnel.
- Offer a parent information drop-in center and clearinghouse that links parents to the vast network of currently available resources.
- Coordinate with local education entities to contribute to the NYS Board of Regents’ Policy on Improving Student Achievement and School Performance through parent and family partnerships.
- Assist NYSED in implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act’s (IDEA) initiatives (e.g., least restrictive environment, transition services, etc.).
- Assist parents in developing skills to support their children’s education leading to independent living in the community.
Last modified: Sunday, 9 December 2012, 10:09 PM